27 February 2014

Craft: Non-cook play dough

Since we haven't been making much craft here lately, I thought I'd link-up to this old post on non-cook play dough! :)

Do your kids love to play with play dough? I recently found a great recipe for a non-cook play dough on the net that I thought I would share with you (it's originally from here if you want to check it out), its so easy to make.


My girls love to play with play dough. Especially Cherub now she is bigger. She loves sitting in her highchair, with the play dough and shape cutters on her little table. I'd be a lot happier if she could sit at the "big table" like her sister, then there would be less things to pick off the floor!!

This type of play dough can get a little sticky and isn't as firm as the ones you can buy in the shop, so I keep ours in a plastic bag in the fridge or in old play dough containers. It also dries out pretty quickly, so I make sure Popette puts it away after she's finished using it.

This is an easy activity to do with the little ones, Popette loved helping me add the ingredients to the bowl.


Adding the ingredients


Popette kneading the dough

All you need is:

2-3 cups plain flour
3/4 cup salt
1 teaspoon food colouring
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (we used olive oil, which worked fine)
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup of water
1 large bowl
wooden spoon


Ingredients

First add each of the dry ingredients to a large bowl, then oil, water and food colouring.

Stir with a wooden spoon, until its all mixed together.

Then turn the play dough onto a floured surface and knead it until its soft and ready for use!

Popette playing
I only made a small amount to check that it worked (and because I didn't have enough flour). If you only want to make a small quantity, I just halved the amounts of the flour, salt, and tartar, but used the same amount for the liquids, which turned out fine.

Suitable age group: 3-5yrs
Estimated time: 15 mins
Messiness factor: low

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)