20 October 2014

Craft: Toilet roll reindeers

Can you believe Christmas is only 5 weeks away! It's scary how fast this year is flying by, I haven't even started my Christmas shopping. I thought to get everyone into the spirit of Christmas I'd share some little Christmas projects I have up my sleeve. 

{If you downloaded my Christmas Craft eBook last year, you would have spotted them in there}

Popette loved making these cute little toilet roll reindeer's.




All you need is:

2 toilet rolls
Stick-on googly eyes
Scissors
Long pipe cleaners (3 x large + 2 small)
Small pom-pom for nose
Paint brush
Water
A selection of water based paints
Sticky tape


Method: 

Popette & I first painted the toilet rolls in the colours we wanted our reindeers, Popette decided on a rainbow reindeer, whereas I was a little more traditional.

Once the paint dried we stuck on the googly eyes and pom-pom nose on to one toilet roll which created the head.

To create the antlers:

Using scissors on the ‘head’ toilet roll, cut a small hole towards the back. (see a.)

a. Hole for antlers

Then fold a pipe cleaner in half. At the fold, twist a little, then feed through the hole to form the antlers. (see b.)

 b. Pipe cleaner twisted at top - used for antlers & legs
Along the bottom side of the ‘body’ toilet roll cut 2 small holes (1 at the front and 1 towards the rear) these are for the legs. (see c. & d.)

c. Holes for the legs
d. How the legs should look
To create the legs: 

It’s basically the same as the antlers, just fold over a little at each end to form a hoof. On the top of the same toilet roll, I made another little hole, this is to feed through a small pipe cleaner for the neck which holds on the head. Its quite wobbly, so I used a little tape for extra support.

You will need to create a matching cut into the ‘head’ so you can feed the neck through.

If you have a small piece of pipe cleaner you can stick that on to form a tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)